Symptoms of bipolar disorder vary depending on the person and the state they’re in. During hypomania, symptoms may include:
- elation or intense happiness
- increased energy and reduced need for sleep
- agitation and irritability
- increased creativity
- rapid thoughts and speech
- impulsive behaviour and higher risk tolerance
- inability to concentrate.
Symptoms of a depressive phase may include:
- fatigue and lack of motivation
- changes in sleep patterns (insomnia or oversleeping)
- reduced libido
- withdrawal from social contact and activities
- changes in eating habits (overeating or loss of appetite)
- reduced focus and concentration
- decreased self-worth and suicidal thoughts.